Friday, August 21, 2026
Google search engine
HomeNewsTroops Rescue Kidnap Victim After Dawn Ambush in Edo

Troops Rescue Kidnap Victim After Dawn Ambush in Edo

Borno State Government

Edo — A joint security operation by troops of the Nigerian Army’s 195 Battalion and the Edo State Security Corps (ESSC) has ended in the rescue of a kidnapped man in Etsako West Local Government Area of Edo State.

The operation, carried out at about 4:30 a.m. on Friday, August 21, 2026, saw troops ambush suspected kidnappers at Powerline, Uzairue, along the Afawosa-Iyora road.

According to security sources, the troops were positioned in the area when they noticed the movement of suspected kidnappers. They immediately opened fire, forcing the criminals to abandon their captive and escape into the nearby forest.

The victim, identified as 35-year-old Mohammed Oboarekpe, a resident of South Ibie, was subsequently rescued by the security team.

Preliminary questioning revealed that Oboarekpe had been abducted from his residence in South Ibie on Thursday, August 20, and was being held by the kidnappers before the troops intercepted the gang.

See also  Police Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue 5 Victims in Katsina Gun Duel

He was later reunited with his family following the successful rescue operation.

Security sources said the troops fired six rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition during the encounter, while the fleeing kidnappers disappeared into the surrounding bush.

The operation comes amid sustained efforts by security agencies to dismantle kidnapping networks operating across Edo State and prevent criminals from gaining control of major roads and vulnerable communities.

Authorities said joint security patrols and intelligence-driven operations would continue across the area, with the aim of denying criminal gangs freedom of movement and improving the safety of residents and road users.

About The Author

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular