Monday, May 18, 2026
Google search engine
HomeNewsSeven Soldiers, one civilian Killed in Lakurawa Ambush in Sokoto

Seven Soldiers, one civilian Killed in Lakurawa Ambush in Sokoto

Borno State Government

Suspected Lakurawa terrorists have killed seven soldiers in an ambush at Runji village, about 10 kilometres from Illela town in Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

The incident, according to local sources, occurred on Saturday evening last week as the troops were returning from a military operation against a Lakurawa hideout.

Residents said the soldiers had launched an assault on the terrorists’ camp using three military vehicles, an operation believed to have inflicted heavy casualties on the armed group.

A source familiar with the development said one of the military vehicles developed a mechanical fault while the troops were heading back to their base in Illela, forcing some of the soldiers to stop by the roadside to repair it.

“The terrorists had apparently mobilised and trailed the soldiers to retaliate for the earlier attack on their camp,” the source said.

He added that the assailants stormed the area on about 30 motorcycles, with each motorcycle carrying three heavily armed fighters.

“They met the soldiers where the faulty vehicle was being repaired and a fierce gun battle ensued for some time,” the source added.

Another account, however, said seven soldiers and one civilian were killed during the ambush.

“The soldiers had abandoned the faulty vehicle and were walking back to their base with the aid of an unnamed civilian who mastered the terrain very well when the Lakurawa ambushed them, killing seven soldiers and their civilian guide,” the source said.

Another resident of Illela, who requested anonymity for security reasons, said at least six soldiers were initially confirmed dead at the scene, while the body of another soldier was later discovered in a nearby bush, bringing the death toll to seven.

See also  Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

“We saw seven corpses at the scene, and another body was found the following day,” he said.

Security sources also confirmed the attack, stating that the bodies of the slain soldiers had been evacuated to Sokoto.

A government official in the area further disclosed that a senior military officer, said to be a lieutenant in the Nigerian Army, was among those killed in the ambush.

The spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, and the Special Adviser on Security Matters, Col. Ahmed Usman, declined to comment on the incident.

However, a senior military officer confirmed that six soldiers were killed in the incident.

“Yes, we recorded a regrettable casualty over the weekend around Ilela. However, immediate tactical reinforcements have been deployed to the area, while aggressive intelligence-led operations are ongoing to track and neutralise the terrorists responsible.

“In line with military tradition, we cannot disclose the identities of our fallen heroes until their next of kin have been duly notified.

” We therefore urge the media to respect the privacy of the affected families and refrain from publishing unverified casualty figures. Instead, attention should be focused on the sacrifices and commitment of our troops,” the officer said.

About The Author

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular